Learn more about coaching from the dozens of coaching articles and resources listed below! (Please respect our authors and do not copy or repost these without permission!) If you want to peruse many more coaching articles like this, check out the Christian Coaching Center as well.
What is Coaching?
Want to get a picture of what coaching is all about? Start here:
- Definitions of Coaching by Tony Stoltzfus
Several definitions of coaching in layman’s and in technical terms.
- Book Excerpt: What is Coaching?
A chapter from the book, Leadership Coaching by Tony Stoltzfus introducing the basic concepts of coaching and showing how they work in a real situation.
- The Coaching Approach to Growth by Tony Stoltzfus
Explores why coaching is so effective at helping leaders grow.
- The Heart of a Coach by Tony Stoltzfus
A look at some of the biblical basis of Christian coaching.
- What Makes a Coach? by Tony Stoltzfus
Three areas that coaches must excel in to be truly great.
Here are some great, free coaching articles on what coaching can do for you:
- Book Excerpt: The Top 5 Reasons to Be Coached
Some compelling reasons why you as a leader could benefit from a coach. Excerpted from the book, Leadership Coaching by Tony Stoltzfus
- Finding a Coach by Tony Stoltzfus
Tips on how to find the a great coach who is the right fit for your needs.
- The Benefits of Leading on Purpose (with tool) by Ron Marsh.
Using your leadership influence to help others connect with their purpose.
- The Impact of a Great Coach by Tony Stoltzfus
Short stories from real clients about the benefits of working with a coach.
- Finding the Right Coach for You by Tony Stoltzfus
Three key things to look for in a coach.
Coaching articles on skill-building, how-to exercises and practical tools for practicing coaches.
- Top Five Asking Mistakes Coaches Make by Tony Stoltzfus
The most common asking mistakes and how to correct them.
- More Top Asking Mistakes by Tony Stoltzfus
Five more common errors and how to correct them.
- When NOT to Speak Up by Tony Stoltzfus
Tips on when to voice your intuitive insights and when to just listen.
- SWOT Analysis (includes tool) by Jeannette Buller Slater
How to do a SWOT Analysis with a leadership team.
- APA Analysis (includes tool) by Jeannette Buller Slater
Follow a SWOT analysis with this brainstorming tool.
- Strategic Planning with Post-it Notes (includes tool) by Jeannette Buller Slater
Converts SWOT and APA results into a strategic plan.
- Force Field Analysis for Team Coaching (inclues tool) by Jeannette Buller Slater
Looks at forces that support or oppose a proposed change.
- Building Authenticity by Tony Stoltzfus
Tools for taking your coaching relationships to a deeper level.
- Turning Off the Conversation in Your Head by Tony Stoltzfus
Practical ways to tune into others and improve your listening.
- Judo Coaching by Tony Stoltzfus
Redirecting the client’s negative energy into positive steps toward the goal.
- What to Do When People Don’t Follow Through by Tony Stoltzfus
Practical hints for getting better follow-through on action steps.
- But What about MY Needs? by Tony Stoltzfus
Escaping the self-focus traps coaches fall into.
- Coaching Pop Quiz by Tony Stoltzfus
Are you really working from a coaching methodology? Find out here!
- Eliminating Listening Distractions (includes tool) by Tony Stoltzfus
Discover what distracts you in your listening environment.
- Coaching with Teachable Moments by Tony Stoltzfus
Coaching techniques for helping clients learn from life circumstances..
- The See/Say Principle by Tony Stoltzfus
Just because you see an issue doesn’t mean you should bring it up.
- The Power of Goals by Tony Stoltzfus
Explores biblical reasons why goal-setting gets results.
- Practical Goal Setting Tips by Tony Stoltzfus
How to create powerful, specific goals with your clients.
Free skill-building articles, exercises and practical tools for practicing coaches.
- Feedback: Friend or Foe? (includes tool) by Ron Marsh
Why feedback is withheld from leaders and what to do about it.
- Leadership Influence: Managing Your Attitudes and Emotions (with tool) by Ron Marsh
Refocusing on the positive; with an Attitude Check worksheet.
- What’s for Breakfast? by Jerry Graham
Tips for giving and receiving feedback (“the breakfast of champions”).
- What? Me a Victim? by Jerry Graham
Coaching to help others take responsibility for their lives.
- I Quit! by Jerry Graham
Choosing persistence or failure as the result of adversity.
- Letting Self-Talk Ruin Your Life
by Tony Stoltzfus. How to let your self-talk defeat you.
- Working Yourself to Death (and Coaching People Back to Life) by Tony Stoltzfus
How much work is too much?
Life Coaching Articles
Info about discovering your purpose and living a balanced, significant, called life.
- Waiting for Our Destiny by Tony Stoltzfus
How to stay on course when fulfilling your call seems a long ways away.
- When NOT to Live Your Destiny by Tony Stoltzfus
The times in life when destiny must take a back seat to other priorities.
- Competing Commitments (with tool) by Jerry Graham
Helping people discover the hidden commitments that sabotage them.
- External Triggers Promote Client Success by Erna Kriigel
Reminder systems for different learning styles.
- Reinventing Yourself by Tony Stoltzfus
Guidelines for how to coach a client’s internal
- Strengthen Your Strengths by Ron Marsh
Using prioritization and delegation to focus on your strengths.
- Coaching People Out of Flat Lives by Tony Stoltzfus
Moving beyond a performance-based worldview.
- Life Purpose by Tony Stoltzfus
The future of life coaching, and coaching people to pursue their call and not just what they like to do.
- What’s Your Purpose? (with tool) by Jerry Graham
Clear purpose as the antidote to anxiety and negative thinking.
- The Importance of Values by Jeannette Buller Slater. Explores why starting with values enhances change.
- Giftedness: A Blueprint for Purpose (with tool) by Ron Marsh
A discussion of finding your purpose along with a tool to start the journey.
- Listen to Your Life by Tony Stoltzfus
A personal life-balance assessment especially for ministry leaders.
- Coaching Through Disappointment by Ron Marsh
http://resources/coaching-through-disappointment/Working with relational pain (especially in the Christmas season).
Coaching and Leadership
Learn about using coaching as a leadership development tool in these insightful coaching articles.
- Leadership Development by John Purcell
A church consultant/coach looks at common problems with building leaders.
- Looking for New Staff (includes tool) by Jeanette Buller Slater
Tips for effective hiring and getting beyond the star system.
- How’s Your R.A.S.? by Jerry Graham
Using the way your brain works to be a more effective visionary.
- Coaching Leaders through Transitions by Tony Stoltzfus
What the life of Abraham has to say about transition, and how coaches can be more effective walking with leaders in these difficult times.
- Theories “X” and “Y” by Erna Kriigel
Two distinct ways leaders look at employees, applied to coaching.
- Creating the Leader Within by Erna Kriigel
Positional vs. personal leadership and the coach.
- Supervising vs. Coaching (includes tool) by Jeannette Buller Slater
Explores the two methodologies and which to choose.
- Leadership and Goal-Setting (includes tool) by Ron Marsh
he challenge of setting the right goal; and a tool to help identify it.
- How God Gets Our Attention by Tony Stoltzfus
Three primary ways God speaks and how to coach around them.
- Living Life from a Learning Stance by Erna Kriigel
Coaching and adult learning connections.
Coaching in Ministry
These coaching articles address the unique challenges and opportunities of coaching in the ministry world:
- Coaching Workers by Keith Webb
Magazine article on unique issues of coaching missions leaders.
- Ministry Maintenance vs. Capacity (includes tool) by Jeannette Buller Slater
Identifying and moving out of maintenance mode to replication.
- Bringing Coaching to the Church by Tony Stoltzfus
Keys for how to present coaching so ministry people get it.
- Becoming the Leader You Were Meant to Be (with tool) by Ron Marsh
How to realigning with your vision when life has taken a toll.
- Growing Healthy Churches (includes tool) by Jeannette Buller Slater
An introduction to Natural Church Development (NCD) principles.
- A Career in Coaching Ministry Leaders by Tony Stoltzfus
An experienced ministry coach covers what you need to know if you want to coach ministry leaders as a career.
- Peer Coach Training by Tony Stoltzfus
Develop a grass-roots coaching culture in your church with peer coaching.
- Pursuing Balanced Ministry by Jeannette Buller Slater
Thirteen key competencies for healthy, effective leadership.
- Coaching and God’s Revelation (with tool) by Ron Marsh
Coaching in the vulnerable moments when vision fades.
- Top Tips for Pro Bono Coaching by Tony Stoltzfus
What you must do to create a good outcome when you’re coaching for free.
Coaching and Discipleship
Applying coaching principles to the art of disciple making.
- Coaching the Discipling Leader by John Purcell
Applying coaching concepts (goals and actions) to disciplemaking.
- Healthy Accountability by Tony Stoltzfus
Four principles in a checklist form to keep you on track.
- The ORIENT Checklist by Cheryl Baker and Tony Stoltzfus
Client worksheet to help foster effective delegation.From the Eight Principles for Life-on-Life Leadership coaching /discipleship manual.
- The Impact of Impartation by Cheryl Baker and Tony Stoltzfus
Reflection exercise looks at those who invested in you. From the Eight Principles for Life-on-Life Leadership coaching /discipleship manual.
Find out how to become a professional coach and equip yourself to get real results with these coaching articles:
- Training Lay Coaches in Your Church by Tony Stoltzfus
Tips for making coach training work in a ministry setting
Practice Building for Professional Coaches
Some great tools and articles that will help you be a more effective coach:
- Five Quick Ways to Jumpstart Your Practice by Tony Stoltzfus
A quick look at practical ways to get your market program going.
- On-line Resources for Coaches by Tony Stoltzfus
The best of what’s out there for coaches in several key niches.
- Using the Web to Get Your Message Across by Tony Stoltzfus
Tips on how to leverage the web from an internet marketing consultant.
- Coaching on the Fly by Tony Stoltzfus.
How to create compelling coaching encounters wherever you go.
All Coaching Articles are ©Coach22 All Rights Reserved. Info@Coach22.com
Coaching articles may NOT be distributed, posted on other sites, or used in print without express written permission from Coach22.com